Over the centuries, the Jewish religious leaders had added rule after rule to God’s law. For example, God’s law said the sabbath is a day of rest (Exod. 20:10-11), but the religious leaders added to that law, creating one that said, “You cannot heal on the Sabbath” because it is work.
Seven times Jesus healed on the Sabbath. In doing this, He was challenging these religious leaders to look beyond their rules to their true purpose – to honour God by helping those in need. Would God have been pleased if Jesus ignored these people?
Here are the seven distinct Sabbath miracles:
- Jesus sends a demon out of a man – Mark 1:21-28
- Jesus heals Peter’s mother-in-law – Mark 1:29-31
- Jesus heals a lame man by the pool of Bethesda – John 5:1-18
- Jesus heals a man with a deformed hand – Mark 3:1-6
- Jesus restores a crippled woman – Luke 13:10-17
- Jesus heals a man with dropsy – Luke 14:1-6
- Jesus heals a man born blind – John 9:1-16